Thursday 2 February 2012

I read the news today…


So, I’ve been busy since my last blog, but I’m afraid there are no tales of fried insects or bamboo rafting - the week seems to have gone far too quickly!

I’ve more or less been working all week, so I figured it was about time to do the standard ‘day in a life’ post…

3am-6.30am: I get woken up by one of the following:  Cockerel #1 or Cockerel #2
7.38am: My alarm goes off. I have a superstition not to wake up at a time that ends in a 0 or 5 – to my horror, I’ve recently discovered my Mum has the same superstition. Ironically, I also set all my clocks 3 minutes fast, so it’s all pointless!
7.38-7.55am: Shower, clean teeth, cover myself in ‘Jungle Fever’ (no, not a new range from Lynx, but insect repellent), put clothes on etc. In the UK I clean my teeth in the shower (ingenious time saving ploy)…but the Shower holder has broken here, so I can nooooooo do that.
8:00am: Cycle to work.
8:01am: Avoid dogs!
8.10am: Arrive at work and set up!
8.11am: First Cup of Tea.
8.16am: Second Cup of Tea (let me know if im going into too much detail!)
8.17am – 12pm: Work on the various tasks and talk to Staff!
12pm – 1pm: Lunch, this is my favourite part. Everyone sits around together for lunch – I don’t think I’ve had a bad lunch yet. No eating sandwiches at the desk like back home!
1pm – 5pm: Continue with tasks.
5.30pm: Go home! I usually go for a cycle around the area, a different direction every evening.
5.42pm: Avoid dogs!
6.30pm: Have dinner. I’m usually pretty tired by this time. I usually walk down to the local shop to get some food. To prevent developing a rice belly, I usually get various snacks from the shop - I’m trying to try every different chocolate bar and cake – so, I may still get a ‘belly’, but I won’t be able to just blame the rice!
7.00 – 9.30pm: Either; go for another wander, chat to the guesthouse staff, read, do some exercise, do some more work, or catch up on the football news from back home!
9.30 – 11pm: Fall asleep at some point.
11.03pm: Wake up, panicking I haven’t locked the door.
12.02am: Wake up, air conditioning isn’t on, it’s too hot.
1.34am: Wake up, air conditioning is on, it’s too cold!

Monday evening I decided to go for a jog. I looked at my watch, and decided I would run for 10minutes, and then turn back. I hadn’t seen any ‘joggers’ since being in Thailand, in Brighton, you can’t move for them!  An old man started jogging with me when I ran past, I smiled and ran off, as a) I didn’t want to start a Forrest Gump situation and b) I didn’t want to give him a heart attack! Anyway, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, the run lasted longer than I expected (I definitely didn’t get lost/go round in circles), as the map shows, I was close to doing my planned loop, but then inadvertently took a wrong turning and added 2 miles to my run!




I had 40baht in my sock, that I planned to buy dinner with at the end of my run…but then, whilst approaching the stall, I realised the feet are considered the lowest and dirtiest part of the body in Thailand…and whipping my money out of my sock would be impolite, rude and a cultural taboo (even if I hadn't just gone for a run!)…so, I went home first and changed my money. I decided to throw the 40baht away!
The next day, I started to feel a cold coming on…I think the mixture of getting pretty hot from the run, then having the air condition too cold messed me up a bit! 

After work on Tuesday I was shattered…but in the evening I had an epiphany on a way to progress with one of the tasks…so I worked on that!

This evening (Thursday!), after my daily cycle, I went to the local market. There is a food market nearby every night, but tonight there seemed to be more stalls, so I popped on over. I’m glad I ate before I went, as otherwise I would have tried everything in sight! It was pleasant walking around, and there wasn’t another ‘farang’ (Westerner) in sight. I didn’t buy anything, but it was pleasant.



I then decided to check out the interesting temple nearby…




Tomorrow I’m off into the mountains for a couple of days, to check out some potential work for the Rain Tree Foundation, and to meet up with the other volunteers for some canoeing!
As mentioned earlier, the time is flying by, and i'm enjoying myself, but I have a nagging fear I won’t be able to achieve everything I want to in the time I have left, we will see…

No comments:

Post a Comment