Thursday 9 February 2012

I've seen things...

Nearly 3 weeks have passed since I departed for my little volunteer adventure in Thailand, and it has gone far too quickly. Now, I’m near the end, I guess it’s time to reflect!

At various times in this whole process I wondered whether 3 weeks would be too long (would there be enough for me to do?!) or too short (can I achieve anything in that time?).

To answer the first question, 3 weeks definitely isn’t too long, and to answer the second question, there is enough time to achieve something.

I always thought 3 weeks was a safe amount of time as I figured what could possible wrong in 3 weeks?! I also thought it would give me a good amount of time to ‘scratch’ my international development/working abroad/travelling ‘itch’ (and I couldn’t get any further time off work!).

However, as I near the end, the last few days have been a mixture of mild frustration, satisfaction and realisation.

I started the week well aware that I was running out of time, and I needed to suggest my plans/ideas on how to improve things ASAP, so I could agree them and then implement them. Unfortunately, the planned meeting on Monday was delayed until Tuesday (Monday was very hectic and everyone was busy – the busiest I have seen the office!). This was mildly frustrating (although fully understandable), but, I started to panic that I wouldn’t accomplish anything in my time here – as Tuesday was the last day all the relevant staff would be in the office.

Tuesday was more productive and satisfying, I managed to explain my thoughts, plans and suggestions…and the main points were agreed with, understood and accepted - which was a relief - and should hopefully make things easier for the Foundation and the accountant. In the evening I had a BBQ with Ralf and his family, and we went over some final bits and pieces for my review/report – the evening was very pleasant and the meat glorious! For the second time, my watch got stolen from me by a kid (Ralfs Daughter this time!) – they seem fascinated by them (it’s only a cheap Casio!), I think it’s because no-one seems to wear a watch in Thailand – which may explain  the phenomenon, which I’ve started affectionately calling ‘Thai Time’…

Definition: Thai Time
Meaning: An agreed time, which can mean a completely different time.

Here are some pics of my 'business meetings' with Ralf...



Since then, there has been realisation that it is easier to suggest improvements than implementing them - especially with a limited time frame – as tweaks, adjustments and unexpected issues arise. However, I am satisfied the main ideas are in place and will be taken forward and there is scope for a future volunteer to finish what I’ve started.

I feel I have developed and gained experience over the last couple of weeks and managed to undertake tasks that I wouldn’t usually get the opportunity to do. I also feel like I’ve learnt about a different culture – relationships before business,  ‘Thai Time’, that Asia is a lot more family orientated etc. I’ve also learnt that the English (or just me) are lazy when learning new languages…I think we just expect everyone to speak English. I have enjoyed trying to communicate with people with limited English, through smiles, thumbs and pointing (I think ‘thumbs up’, may not be as universal as I expected and maybe I need to develop a new smile). I have renewed desire to learn a new language, I just don’t know which one, I’ve spent the last 3 weeks with Germans and Thai’s…but I’m not sure how useful these languages are globally!

So, I have one day left, today we went out for lunch as a farewell, and I was given a traditional North Thailand scarf and a Karen (local hill tribe) bag…from what I hear, the scarf will be useful when back in the UK, I have also got a token to stay in a nice hotel in the centre of Chiang Mai for one night! I felt a bit humble receiving the gifts, as I fear I have got more out of this experience than them, and everyone has been so kind to me! 

Luckily, I don’t think 3 weeks is enough time to miss much about the the UK – although, of course, I miss my mates, family and work. I thought I would miss Football and going for a pint more, but maybe, just maybe there is more to life than watching football down the pub with mates?! Naaaah!

I would like to reiterate how nice, kind and welcoming everyone has been at the Foundation, and the Country as a whole. I’ll miss my morning wave and ‘sawadee’ with the locals, the glorious food (I can’t imagine eating a meal that doesn’t include Rice or Noodles!) and the warm weather. I think the Rain Tree Foundation is a worthwhile cause with lovely people, so I  hope I keep in contact with the staff, and I plan to continue to help out from the UK (but I bet everyone says that!).

So…go on, make a difference, donate a water filter or foster a child http://www.raintree-foundation.org/index.php/sponsoring.html…I’m going to (and I’ve seen their finances!).

If you’re thinking about volunteering through AfID…just do it - if you know me, feel free to contact me with any questions, if you don't know me, feel free to contact me with any questions!

Finally, I’ve realised, the problem with scratching an itch is that you want to keep scratching it*!

Fin

*This isn’t a reference to the two, three, four mosquito bites I have recently acquired.

No comments:

Post a Comment